Volunteer Jamie Wigginton working with a student at the Correctional Center
Painting program for women in prison. Artist volunteers lead and assist participants with Oil painting, drawing, and painting with Acrylic paint.
- Where: Goochland Women’s Correctional Facility, VA
- Days: 2nd and Fourth Wednesdays of the month 9:00A am to 11:30 am
- Commitment Required: Travel to and from, entry and setup and two-hour art class (3.5 hours)
Background check by Goochland Women’s Correctional Center and onsite volunteer training pre-clearance
“Opening Minds Through Art” Program for Adults with Dementia and Alzheimers
Volunteer Artist Jinx Constine assisting an Elder Artist at Saint Mary’s Woods
- Where: Saint Mary’s Woods Retirement Community
- Days: 7-week sessions. Next session begins in January. Commitment required for six-to-10-weekly sessions (Fall and Spring semesters)
- When: Every Friday, 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Students are provided transportation (pick up at 9:30 am; return at 12:30 pm)
- Prerequisites: Training provided by Art for the Journey OMA-Certified Instructors
Art Program for adults in affordable accessible living
Artist Steve Sawyer preparing the painting for Marywood
Arts instruction for adults in affordable and accessible living
- Days: Every Thursday, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. Each class is one-hour.
- Where: Marywood Elderly Apartments, Henrico, VA
- Prerequisites: Some art skill or interest in painting and drawing
Volunteer Stephanie Shanks working with young art students at Independence
Assist art teacher with art class for children participating in Youth Life Foundation Friday fun days at Independence.
Teach and lead or assist art teacher with Tuesday/Wednesday camp for 8 children ages 8-12 for 10 weeks in June and July.
- Where: Independence Golf Club, Midlothian, VA
- Art Teacher:
Working or experienced artists approved for teaching by Art for the Journey. Background check required. Paid position. Contact volunteer coordinator for additional info.
- Art Assistant:
Interest in art education and/or painting and drawing background or interest.
- Art Teacher:
Volunteer Grant Parker cheerfully working with a resident of Marywood
Artist Lezlie Hierholzer volunteers with AFJ for plein air workshops in SwanQuarter, NC